Monday 7 May 2012

Reflection and Learning


TMA02 requires a consideration of the learning that my proposed initiative is intended to give me. I have reviewed a number of theories including Kolb’s experiential learning cycle, Ramsey’s reflective learning and Johnson’s action learning framework.

Kolb’s cycle involves paying careful attention to a recollection of what happened, trying very hard not to rule out those parts of a situation that are uncomfortable to recall for whatever reason. The problem I have with this theory is that it assumes humans are rational and that thoughts can be rebuilt in a logical way that makes sense. Furthermore it tends to ignore the inherent human bias of projecting what we think people want (Covey, 1989) and in the process reinforcing our worldview through this mindset.

I found Ramsey’s reflective framework, cited in Pedlar et al (2001) interesting as it brings in the important dimension of our feelings and asks us to reconsider why we acted as we did in particular circumstances. This also requires adopting a long term ‘journaling’ technique with individuals being encouraged to use learning logs and journals. I must say this is a preferred way of learning for me as it gives me the opportunity to reflect on my experiences by taking time out from everything rather than the impulsive Kolb’s cycle. The feelings dimension also recognises the importance of tacit learning and forces one to question deeply held assumptions without shouting from the top of the tree. It makes me appreciate why I react in a certain way and enables me to control or redirect disruptive impulse and think before acting (Goleman, 1998).

An important critique of both these models is that they assume learning is an individualistic endeavour and ignore the tendency of human beings to cling to a particular way of viewing the world and not necessarily tolerating the ambiguity of holding multiple and sometimes conflicting perspectives of a situation. What is required to nature a true learning experiencing is a Janusian way of looking at situations and being comfortable with uncertainty.

It was for these reasons that I embarked on further research and came across the action learning model cited by Johnson (1998) in the Journal of workplace learning. Johnson argues that the critical aspect of this model is the action learning set where between four and six learners come together by talking through their problems and personally taking action. Johnson also emphasises that each problem may have a number of different answers due to the individual’s value systems and past achievements.

 I strongly relate to this notion of talking through problems as I am currently engaged with a group of fellow students where we discuss issues on a weekly basis. We use social media and internet telephony to connect virtually. I also find that this arrangement replicates the Open University environment and in a way resembles the tutor group forum but in a rather active way. Each participant reflects on his or her past actions and the group provides an opportunity for the individual to unravel their problems. The individuals then take action to change and learn from experience. For me this has enabled me to gain new perspectives on making sense of some difficult theories. Talking to these colleagues has also given me the opportunity to bounce off ideas in a relatively safe environment without being subjected to criticism by my some of my managers. It has also enabled me to structure my thoughts in a more disciplined way by spending more time on my reflections.

Undoubtedly the action learning model has some shortfalls in terms of disagreements between the participants due to their cultural and organisational contexts. There may also be issues around group dynamics and how some members may not ‘fit’ in with others. Despite these potential flaws, the model works as it is meant to challenge assumptions and push individuals to come up with solutions to their own problems.


References

Covey, S.R (1989) ‘The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People’ Simon and Schuster, London, p. 252.

Goleman, D. (1998), ‘How to become a leader’ in Henry (2001)

Johnson, C (1998), ‘The essential principles of action learning’, Journal of Workplace Learning, Vol. 10, issue 6, pp. 296-300

Kolb, D. (1984), Experiential learning, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, Prentice Hall

Ramsey, C. (2006) ‘Introducing Reflective Learning, Open University, Thanet Press, Kent

No comments:

Post a Comment